Tuesday 19 April 2011

Artistic explorations: Mixed media (1)

When I start a new painting, it's mainly because I have been inspired by something I've seen in a gallery, an exhibition, online, a tutorial, or in a book. A while ago I bought this practical book "Creative Paint Workshop for mixed-media artists" written by artist Ann Baldwin. Just looking at her work and reading about the creative process felt like being a kid in a candy shop...I want it all!!

Last week it was finally the right time to give it a go myself. I started a new painting on the day I had to (or wanted to) submit it for the Aberdeen Art Exhibition. Normally I'm quite well planned and organised, but this time I left it at the last minute to finish it on time (does this mean that I'm doing well as an artist?). I had already collected and laid out the materials I wanted to use such as fabrics and paper. I had also made my own stencils, so now it was just a matter of selecting the colours, brushes and shapers, textures, composition, acrylic mediums and use of layers. With the theory in the back of my mind, I wanted to be experimental as well and create an abstract, organic and tactile piece with a certain flow/rythm in it. The result is this mixed media piece on canvas (40 x 40 cm):


Textile & Texture © Fenfolio 2011

 
Close-up of side of canvas ©Fenfolio 2011


Looking at Ann Baldwin's mixed media paintings (below), I think I did a pretty good job for my first attempt! Hopefully the judges of the art exhibition think the same. If they don't, well, that will be a pity but it won't put me off creating more of this type of work!

Addition © Ann Baldwin

Flying High © Ann Balwin

Roocoocooed ©Ann Baldwin

No comments:

Post a Comment