Monday 26 March 2012

Summer in The Cairngorms

With temperatures of 22 degrees, Scotland was even warmer than some Mediterranean countries yesterday. How lucky for us that we both had booked a weekend away, this time separately. Jaap went down to Fort Augustus for the Great Glen Fest and improve his canoeing skills. I went to Kingussie for a trip organised by the ski club. Although we weren't able to do any skiing at all, the weather couldn't have been better for a hike in the Cairngorms.

We started our walk to Ben Mheadhoin at Coire Cas carpark. After 8.5 hours and a total of almost 2,700 meters of ascending and descending we came back, tired but exhilarated by the magnificient views and great company!

Area map
Elevation map

After our first ascent

Descent to Loch Avon

I'm looking quite tired already after a very steep descent!

Fascinating rocks and tors

The landscape looked quite surreal!



Beautiful rock textures

Finally at the top of Ben Mheadhoin



The lightest person was able to ski down on his boots from the smallest patch of snow

After a good night sleep in the hostel Woodlands, I decided not to tag along for another hike, but instead go for a bike ride on my own. I started at the carpark along the river Spey in Aviemore and followed the Speyside Way through Boat of Garten, had a lunch break at Loch Garten and then cycled back. A total distance of 37 km. My blisters were fine, but at the end of the day my buttocks were the problem.
I finished a perfect weekend with a well-deserved soft ice cream in the village, aahh....Life's good!!

Area map

Derelict trainwagon
Sculpture in forest

The Speyside Way meanders through beautiful moorland
Me an my bike

Woman and horse enjoying a summer's day

Birch forest

Boat of Garten station



Tranquility at Loch Garten

Lunchbreak on the banks of Loch Garten

Path through Abernethy Nature Reserve

Views towards Cairngorm Mountains







3 comments:

  1. Hi Fen, good to hear you had such a great weekend in the Cairngorms, what fantastic weather! Pity I missed it all, though I was skiing in the Alps ;)

    Adam

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Adam, thanks for your comment. Oh, I have missed skiing so much!! I hope you've had a fab holiday. Fen.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really this blog is refreshing.It is very helpful information for all.
    kindly keep on posting such information in future also
    on cairngorms b and b

    ReplyDelete