Monday 13 November 2017

Artistic Explorations: 3D Design (1)


When I was a young teenager my father introduced me to photography. He had a dark room and I remember watching him processing his images with different chemicals in various baths. It was magical to see him developing his artistic photographs! At that time I had my own small analogue camera but I never tried to develop my images myself because the smell of these chemicals really put me off. When I got my first digital camera around 2004, just before we moved to Scotland, it all changed. I enjoyed learning how to develop them on my computer and quickly I was hooked. My love for photography was reignited.

When my father gave me a selection of vintage cameras, previously owned by him, my grandfather and even my great grandfather, I was delighted! Although I have never used them myself, I feel honoured I'm the keeper of this precious collection.


My vintage camera collection


Among this collection is a glassplate camera and a rolleiflex
 
A few retro cameras


I even have a camera made out of of a can from Cuba, given by my parents!
 
Recently I started my 3D design course at Grays School of Art in Aberdeen. During this course we learn about lasercutting and 3D printing. After familiarising with Adobe Illustrator again for the first two lessons (it had been a long time ago since I used it but it's like driving a car), we had to choose an object we wanted to create and/or blend into. I chose to recreate one of the vintage cameras: the Balda Super Baldina from around 1950's!

Balda Super Baldina camera (1950's)
 
Sketchbook with my design for the camera

After measuring, drawing, re-measuring, tweaking and adding a few more drawings I was finally able to have all my pieces cut out from cardboard with the lasercutter. Then I glued all the different pieces together. There were a few things I had left out in my initial design, but once I had assembled the camera I thought it would be better to add them so I cut the viewfinder front and back, side strips, tiny cord holes on the side and flashlight holder by hand.


My cardboard replica of the Balda Super Baldina next to the real one
 
The reconstructed Balda Super Baldina in cardboard
 
Balda Super Baldina, back view
 
Balda Super Baldina, top view

I really enjoyed the whole process from design to contruction and I'm pleased with how it turned out. Now it has a spot in my small vintage camera museum!

No comments:

Post a Comment